Repairing Broken Heaters in Greater Norwich for Over 24 Years
Even if people think of Connecticut as a warm place, its winters can still get pretty bitter, especially without a functioning heater. Would you know what to do if yours failed in the middle of a February storm? Do you know who to call? First, take a deep breath. There’s no need to panic. Broad Brook Heating & Cooling Inc is just a phone call away.
Our HVAC company has been helping people in Norwich fix their broken heaters since 1999. Tell us about your heating problem, and we’ll send a licensed HVAC technician to help set things right. Known for providing prompt, reliable service, we’ve become the go-to source for locals with heating system problems.
Symptoms of a Heater in Need of Repair
Because extreme cold snaps are such a rarity in Preston, a lot of our clients aren’t familiar with the ins-and-outs of heater operation. They often miss smaller signs of heating issues, meaning we only get called when there’s a major, expensive problem. To make fixing your heating problems easier, we advise residents of Norwich to stay on the lookout for:
- Cold Spots: Is your thermostat cranked up to 75 degrees, but your home still feels like an icebox? Is your heater continually turning on and off without maintaining the temperature? This is a common sign of a heater that needs repair. Before calling us, however, doublecheck that the filter is clean and free of clogging dust.
- A Yellow Pilot Light: If your heater has a pilot light, is it burning blue or yellow? If it’s the latter, you need to leave your home immediately. This is an indicator that your heater is producing excess carbon monoxide, an odorless gas that can cause death. Before calling us, reach out to your gas company, so they can turn off the line and check for leaks. After that, dial (860) 887-0147 to schedule your Norwich-area heater repair.
- Weird Smells: Note that we’re not referring to the musty odor you get when you turn your unit on for the first time in the season. This odor is normal and results from your unit burning off all the dust that accumulated in the off season. If you notice an odor that refuses to go away, however, it’s time to call a local HVAC expert. To lessen this dust level, consider scheduling heater or furnace maintenance in Norwich.
- Odd Noises: A heater on its last leg will start making strange noises. This can be the whining of a worn belt, the squeaking of a poorly lubricated nut, or the creaking of an unstable chassis. Though these sounds may indicate little, they can also be a sign of something that needs attention. Since it’s better to be safe than sorry, we advise you to reach out to us at (860) 887-0147 the first time you notice a problem.
- Increased Energy Costs: One of the easiest to notice signs of a heater in need of repair are skyrocketing utility costs. If your gas or power bill increases without an obvious explanation, it may be due to a loss of heating efficiency. Fortunately, repairing your heater is often enough to return energy use to normal levels. In some cases, however, we might recommend total heating system replacement.
- Frequent Cycling: Does your heater rarely turn off? Have you noticed it popping on and off on a fairly regular basis? If either of these are the case, your heater might be in need of repair. While this doesn’t necessitate an emergency, long-term short cycling can drastically shorten your heater’s lifespan. To fix short-cycling in Stonington or Norwich, give our HVAC technicians a call.
The Main Reasons Good Heaters Go Bad
A proper understanding of what heater parts are likely to fail can better equip you to deal with an HVAC emergency. It also makes it easier for you to communicate your heating problem in a clear, comprehensive way. Our 24 years of repairing heating systems in Norwich has taught us that the issue is often:
- Bad Thermostats: Your thermostat tells your heater when to turn on and off. If it’s not working right, you’ll have a hard time staying warm. To see if this issue is at the root of your problems, try swapping out the thermostat’s batteries. Also make sure that it’s on and set to HEAT and that the run method selected is AUTO.
- Ignition Failure: Pilot lights can go out and refuse to light. When this happens, your heater loses the ability to warm the air, leaving you chilled. The main cause of pilot light issues are grime build-up and wear around the burner. If you can’t get it to reignite, reach out to our Norwich HVAC company at (860) 887-0147.
- The Exhaust Blower: The heater’s exhaust blower takes your unit’s combustible output and vents it outside. When this system fails, your unit will cycle on and off before shutting down. Regular heater maintenance can keep the exhaust blower running as intended, preventing unintended shutdowns.
- Blower Motor Failure: Your heater’s blower motor is what pushes the air through your ducts and out your vent. When it fails, even the most efficient unit won’t be able to heat or cool your home. Typical causes of failure include clogging and overheating. Having us out to clean your ducts regularly takes the strain off the blower motor and allows it to run effectively.
- Bad Heat Exchanger: Your heat exchanger is one of the most vital components of your heating system. It’s responsible for keeping combustion gasses separate from the warmed air circulated throughout your home. When this part of your heater fails, carbon monoxide can enter your air supply. replacing it can be prohibitive. We often recommend replacing your heater instead, especially if the cause of failure is short-cycling because you have too large of a heater installed for your square footage.
Luckly, no matter the size of the issue, our Norwich HVAC technicians have likely seen it before. Our well-equipped trucks allow us to fix most common heater issues on our first visit. This means less time spent layering jackets and more time enjoying life.
Trust Broad Brook Heating & Cooling Inc with Your Heater Repair in Norwich
When you need your heater repaired or replaced, trust the experts at BBHC! As our long list of happy customers shows, many of your neighbors already do! With 24 years of experience helping people in the Norwich maximize their comfort, we have the know-how needed to get the job done. No matter what you need, our company has well-defined services and procedures in place to ensure consistency and a proper diagnosis.
In other words, when it comes to heater repair in Norwich, you can always count on Broad Brook Heating & Cooling Inc. Contact us at (860) 887-0147 to schedule your heating service.